The Open Government Portfolio Public Value Assessment Tool (PVAT) offers government leaders an approach to making better-informed decisions about their portfolio of open government initiatives.
This tool provides a structured way to assess the public value of an initiative so an agency can review the expected public value across their entire portfolio.
The information generated from using this tool can support decisions about initiatives in a portfolio and how to enhance the agency's public value.
- FAQ - Answers to frequently asked questions about the PVAT.
- Presentation - Original slideshow overview of the core components of the PVAT including descriptions of public value types and mechanisms.
- Report - Describes the project approach and methodology and presents the PVAT concepts and design. Details how CTG UAlbany and federal agencies worked together to bring the ideals of open government and the importance of public value into a practical portfolio-based tool that can inform decision making.
Download the PVAT
The PVAT is available for free under different licenses (select one below):
- Governmental - Government employees or officials for government purposes.
- Non-Governmental - Non-government individuals for non-commercial purposes.
- Commercial - Used by any individual for all for-profit purposes (You can request this by email and we will contact you about a license and further information.)
The PVAT is freely available to governments at all levels in the U.S. and around the world. Learn More >>
This software requires Microsoft Excel with macros enabled.
CTG UAlbany received an Early-Concept Grant for Exploratory Research (EAGER) from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
This is structured to develop a conceptual resource design for open government leaders. In addition, it aims to start the development of a research proposal that lays out the most pressing questions surrounding emerging technologies, open government, and citizen services.
- Resource for Government Leaders - The development of the resource for open government leaders is presented here Open Government and Public Value: Conceptualizing a Portfolio Assessment Tool (PVAT).
As part of the process, CTG UAlbany held the workshop "Balancing Your Agency's Open Government Portfolio: A Public Value Approach" with federal open government leaders to test and refine the conceptual design of the tool.
This half-day workshop was held in December 2010 at the National Academy of Public Administration in Washington, D.C. Learn More >>
- A Research Proposal - Throughout investigation and development process, CTG UAlbany has documented the most pressing questions and areas of research that are critical to the understanding and evaluation of open government.
Contact CTG to Facilitate Group Planning Process
CTG UAlbany works with governments in group planning process designed to examine initiatives being considered as part of an agency’s open government portfolio.
CTG UAlbany can help consider each initiative from a stakeholder and public value perspective.
This understanding of your initiatives can be used to inform decisions about an overall open government portfolio and plan. Contact email@example.com.